Sunday, December 25, 2011

Disappointed

I am going to sound like a spoiled brat but I am going to say this anyway.  I HATE CHRISTMAS!!!  I try so hard to make it a special day.  I try to forget the pain of past Christmases where my dad and step-mother made it clear to me that I was in the way.  Starting at about 16 I would get one present and get to sit there and watch dad, Edith and Gord open a bunch of presents.  My sister Grace used to try and make up for it but knowing your "parents" think you are a bother a few presents don't make up for anything.

This Christmas again sucked for me.  Robbie loved his presents so at least that was good.  I spend so much time picking and wrapping presents for Sean and I am usually disappointed - just as I am this year.  Sean bought me Glee season 2 which I did want and then a trench coat.  Not just any trench coat but a "techie" one with a bunch of pockets for all your gadgets.  I hated it, and it is about 2 sizes too small.  Sean suggested that we go shopping tomorrow for a new gift.  I hate shopping and boxing day is awful to shop on, and picking my own present....why should I bother.

I spent the day crying, not that is unusual but I would rather not spend my Christmas crying my eyes out.  Unfortunately I do that almost every year.  I thought this year might be different, we finally have money again and so I was hopeful.  I should give up on hope.

With all our marital issues lately I thought that Sean might actually outdo himself.  Yes, we have a budget but I went way over budget so that I could get him a new wedding band.  I made sure everything that I bought he would like if not love....

Yes, I am a spoiled brat....  and I still hate Christmas.

1 comments:

robin said...

I follow my mom's example at Christmas... I buy myself what I want and then I'm not disappointed. :)

People do Christmas differently I know. Some like to buy big extravagant gifts, others like to keep it simple, some people love the element of surprise, but for my husband and myself we are more practical and tend to buy things that are needed for the house or for ourselves in terms of wardrobe. So this year we needed a new microwave. We talked about it and decided that Brett would get the microwave for Christmas - he even picked it out himself. I received a new plate set as our old plates were chipping - I picked those out.

I think the important thing though is agreeing with your spouse ahead of time on what the both of you expect Christmas should be. For when expectations are not met that is when we get upset and disappointed. Good luck with Christmas next year.